Friday, May 20, 2016

Much to Learn





I did some crazy things when I was pregnant with my firstborn. I put my keys in the freezer, stored plates in the microwave (instead of the cupboard), burnt our Formica countertops with a hot cookie sheet, ate a bowl of Fruitloops every day, and dipped French Fries in my Wendy's Frosty.  You would think this would be a fairly normal occurrence for a right-brained person like myself but when it comes to organizing and planning I am extremely left-brained.

My husband is an Engineer who loves strategy and details (left-brain) and I am a Writer who loves creativity and imagination (right-brain).  There has been an ongoing theory that opposites attract which may indicate why my husband and I work well together.

But, what about kids? My husband and I have 2 children and even though they lean more to one side, they both have an almost equal balance between right and left brain. This may be what causes conflict between them sometimes.  This may be why they are doing well in ALL subjects in school. Or maybe it is completely unexplainable and their personalities will modify over time.

Science is interesting! 

{To find out if you are right or left brained, click here to take a short quiz.}

In our family, we don't do cable TV.  We do, however, watch a lot of Netflix and Sling. If we are not eating popcorn and watching movies, we are cuddling up on the couch watching science shows.  I mean, who doesn't like experiments - right?!

So, I have compiled a list of 5 family friendly science shows for you to consider as you surf through the sea of binge-worthy Netflix shows. They are listed in order of our family's preference, but keep in mind that our kids are 8 and 9 years old so if you have younger ones you may want to search Netflix for shows that are more age appropriate (ie. Bill Ney The Science Guy or Wild Kratts).

And in the words of Yoda, "Much to learn, you still have!"


1. Street Genius



Synopsis: Host Tim Shaw creates interesting experiments and challenges {street} guests to guess their outcomes.
Rating: TV-PG
Year: 2013-2014
Topics: Physics, Chemistry, Engineering
Episodes Available: 21 Episodes


2. Brain Games


Synopsis: An examination of the nature of human perception and how it can be fooled.
Rating: TV-G
Year: 2011-
Topics: Optical Illusions, Perception, Motor Skills, Neurology
Episodes Available: 59 Episodes






3. The Blue Planet


Synopsis: The first ever comprehensive series on the natural history of the world’s oceans.
Rating: TV-G
Year: 2001
Topics: Ocean/Aquatic Life
Episodes Available: 8 Episodes




4. Expedition Unknown


Synopsis: An archeologist travels around the world in search of the unknown and missing ancient artifacts.
Rating: TV-PG
Year: 2015-
Topics: Archaeology, Geology, History
Episodes Available: 36 Episodes


5. The Big Picture


Synopsis: Host and producer Kal Penn shows how things like money, food, sports and crime influence our daily lives.
Rating: TV-PG
Year: 2015-
Topics: Geography, Anthropology, Economy
Episodes Available: 11 Episodes







No comments:

Post a Comment