Friday, March 18, 2016

Indroducing....Billy!

"Do one thing every day that scares you!"

I heard someone say this one time when I was struggling to balance motherhood with my desire to write.  Writing doesn't scare me but the unknown does. What if I dive head first into a book and it takes over my life?  What if my kids suffer?  What if people don't like my work?  What if... what if... what if?

So I did what any crazy mama would do - I took the bull by the horns and reminded myself that parenting scares me every day so, WHAT THE HECK! BRING ON THE SPOOK FEST! After all I am due for a mid-life crisis anyway.

Writing is a journey.  It is a test of patience and commitment.  It allows you to embrace the unpredictability of the imaginary world in which we all wish we lived. And that, my friends, is what makes this journey so scary and yet so exciting.

My first book, Billy Barlow Makes Room For School, was released at the beginning of this year.  I was inspired to write this book when my kids' 1st grade teachers set a goal for each of the students to read 100 books by the end of the year.  Amongst the categories of required books was Chapter Books.  My first thought was "How can a 1st grader read an entire chapter book, much less 6 of them by the end of the year."  We went straight to work and, thankfully, my kids were able to reach their goal.  It wasn't easy.  Bedtime was like wrangling horses and listening to them sound  out  word  after  word  tested our patience but we got through it and they were very proud to reach their goal.

This experience with my own kids gave birth to the Billy Barlow Series of easy chapter books.  Book #2, Billy Barlow and the Bacon Lovin' Bully, is still in progress but is set to be released on Amazon Kindle in April 2016.  In the meantime, head over and download your copy of Book #1 today and watch your young reader beam with pride when she reads her very first chapter book.








No comments:

Post a Comment