Friday, March 4, 2016

For Better or For Worse

My son wants to be a Lego Engineer when he grows up. Basically, he wants to play with Legos for the rest of his life, and I am okay with that. Why? Because Legos are COOL!

When I was a child I begged my parents to buy Legos for my birthday, prayed Santa would slip them under the tree, or better yet that they would just appear under my pillow while I was sleeping like something out of a magical fairytale. But I was a girl, and girls don't play with Legos - at least they didn't 30 years ago.

So you could imagine my surprise when, in our first year of marriage, my husband gifted me my first set of Legos. I was pregnant at the time so I'm sure I shed a few tears. I had already forgotten about my childhood dream of playing with these fascinating blocks. I had already forgotten about being a "Tomboy" and moved on with my life - with my Barbies and Dolls and all things "girlie."  But it was in that moment, when my groom sat down and started building Legos with me, that I decided Legos were in our lives to stay - for better or for worse!

For worse came sooner than I thought.


Our daughter was our firstborn. She loved playing with the large Mega Blocks but she was just too busy to sit still long enough to build anything stable. Then, about two years after our son was born I introduced him to Legos and I have been stepping on them ever since. Which reminds me, have you heard of LEGO SLIPPERS?  Listen-up parents! These slippers just might save your life!  Or at least rescue you from searing foot pain.




Now, back to my son - the aspiring Lego Engineer.  Two weeks ago he came home from school with a library book called The Lego Ideas Book.  Immediately he built a moat he saw within it's pages and had every intention of building the castle to go along with it when he was due to return the book to the school library. Upon looking in his backpack after school, I noticed the book was still there.

"I thought you were supposed to return this book to the library today!" I said in my not-so-calm mom voice. 

"Oh, well I decided to check it out again because I thought you might need one of these for your desk!" came his heartfelt response. {See picture left}

This guy knows how to tug at my heart strings!




And if he actually does grow up to be a Lego Engineer, I'm almost certain his house will look something like this...



And I will be forced to use this...




Or sit on this... OUCH!!!


but I'm okay with that because I vowed to love Legos for better or for worse!

...and because he made it!


No comments:

Post a Comment